Sep. 2005-Apr. 2011 National Key Laboratory of Biochemical Engineering, Institute of Process Engineering, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Ph. D. in Biochemical Engineering (Advisor: Prof. Chunzhao Liu)
Sep. 2002-Jul. 2005 University of Science and Technology Beijing
M. S. in Biochemical Engineering (Advisor: Prof. Wen Ni)
Sep. 1998-Jul. 2002 Hunan University of Science and Technology
B. E. in Chemical Engineering and Technology
Dr. CHENG Xiyu earned a PhD in Biochemical Engineering from Institute of Process Engineering, Chinese Academy of Science, China in 2011. He then joined the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, National University of Singapore as a Research Scientist until 2013. Dr. CHENG is currently an Associate Professor in the College of Life Sciences and Bioengineering, School of Science, Beijing Jiaotong University. His research interests lie in two major areas, one focusing on the antitumor biomaterials, particularly in the area of developing efficiency multi-modality therapy for tumors via magnetic particles, biological vesicles and other nano- and micro-materials while another in the field of microbial biotechnology derived by advanced synthetic biology either for bio-energy or for wastewater treatment. He has published more than 30 papers in high-level academic journals, with h-factor of 14, and obtained 5 authorized Chinese invention patents.
Nano- & micro-materials and tumor diagnosis and treatment: preparation of magnetic particles, biological vesicles and other nano- and micro-materials and their application in tumor diagnosis and treatment.
Environmental biotechnology: bioenergy; solid waste recycling; organic wastewater treatment; biological desulfurization, etc.
- Project of China Light Industry Key Laboratory, Two-stage mild acid/alkali pretreatments to enhance light industry solid waste bioconversion, 2020.07~2021.07, Project principal
- Project of China Light Industry Key Laboratory, Fiber depolymerization mechanism and selective regulation in hot water pretreatment and enzymatic hydrolysis of light industry biomass, 2019.07~2020.07, Project principal
- JW Project, Research on the ************ Soilless Cultivation System, 2019.07~2020.12, participated
- Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities, Research on multi-scale problems of fiber degradation in biomass waste bioprocessing, 2017.01~2019.01, Project principal
- National Natural Science Foundation of China, Proteomics research on the strengthening mechanism of the hydrogen fermentation of lignocellulosic biomass by co-cultivation of thermophilic bacteria, 2014.01~2016.12, Project principal
- Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities, Research on the effect of heavy metal cadmium pollution to human health and the benchmark dose evaluation, 2015.01~2016.12, Project principal
- Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities, Monitoring and evaluation on human health damage caused by heavy metal Cadmium pollution, 2014.10~2016.09, Project principal
- Cooperation project, Urine sample collection and cadmium content detection in Silong Town, Baiyin City, 2014.07~2014.12, Project principal
- GSK-Singapore Biopharmaceutical Project, 2011.06~2013.04, participated
- Knowledge Innovation Project of Chinese Academy of Sciences, Project of Bioethanol production from lignocellulosic biomass. 2008~2011, participated
Introductory to Bioengineering
Film & TV and Biochemical Technology
- Shangyuan Tang, Yushen Cao, Chunming Xu, Qiong Yan * and Xiyu Cheng* et al. One-Step or Two-step acid/alkaline pretreatments to improve enzymatic hydrolysis and sugar recovery from Arundo Donax L. Energies, 2020, 13, 948.【Corresponding Author】
- Yaping Sun , Qianyun Lu, Yushen Cao, Menghua Wang, Xiyu Cheng* and Qiong Yan *. Comparative transcriptome analysis of the molecular mechanism of the hairy roots of Brassica campestris L. in response to cadmium stress. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2020, 21, 180.【Corresponding Author】
- Shangyuan Tang, Chunming Xu, Khanh Vu, L.T., Qiong Yan, Xiyu Cheng * et al. Enhanced enzymatic hydrolysis of Pennisetum alopecuroides by dilute acid, alkaline and ferric chloride pretreatments. Molecules 2019, 24, 1715.【Corresponding Author】
- Shen Ke, Xiyu Cheng, Jieying Zhang, et al. Estimation of benchmark dose of urinary cadmium as the reference level for renal dysfunction: A large sample study in five cadmium polluted areas in China. BMC Public Health, 2015, 15: 656.
- Shen Ke 1, Xiyu Cheng 1, Li Hao, et al. Body burden of cadmium and its related factors: a large-scale survey in China. Science of the Total Environment. 2015, 511: 649-654. 【1：Contributed equally】
- Shen Ke, Ke Qin-Mei, Jia Wen-Jing, Xiyu Cheng, et al. Benchmark dose estimation for cadmium-induced renal effects based on a large sample population from five Chinese provinces. Biomedical Environment Science 2015; 28(5): 70-73.
- Shen Ke 1, Xiyu Cheng 1, Zhang Ni, et al. Cadmium concentrations of rice from various polluted areas of China and potential risks to human health. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 2015; 187(7): 408(1-11)【1：Contributed equally】
- Xiyu Cheng*, Cheng Zhong. Effects of Feed to Inoculum Ratio, Co-digestion and pretreatment on biogas production from anaerobic digestion of cotton stalk. Energy Fuels, 2014, 28 (5): 3157-3166.
- Xiyu Cheng, Yen-Wah Tong, Kai-Chee Loh. An immersed hollow fiber membrane bioreactor for enhanced biotransformation of indene to cis-indandiol using Pseudomonas putida. Biochemical Engineering Journal, 2014, 87: 1–7.
- Xiyu Cheng, Chunzhao Liu. Enhanced coproduction of hydrogen and methane from cornstalks by a three-stage anaerobic fermentation process integrated with alkaline hydrolysis. Bioresource Technology 2012, 104: 373–379. (SCI, IF 9.64)
- Xiyu Cheng, Chunzhao Liu. Fungal pretreatment enhances hydrogen production via thermophilic fermentation of cornstalk. Applied Energy 2012, 91(1): 1-6. (SCI, IF 9.75)
- Cheng Xi-Yu, Qian Li, Chunzhao Liu. Coproduction of hydrogen and methane via anaerobic fermentation of cornstalk waste in continuous stirred tank reactor integrated with up-flow anaerobic sludge bed. Bioresource technology, 2012, 114: 327-333. (SCI, IF 9.64)
- Xiyu Cheng, Chunzhao Liu. Hydrogen production via thermophilic fermentation of cornstalk by Clostridium thermocellum. Energy Fuels 2011, 25(4): 1714-1720.
- Chunzhao Liu, Xiyu Cheng. Improved hydrogen production via thermophilic fermentation of corn stover by microwave-assisted acid pretreatment, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 2010, 35(17): 8945-8952.
- Xiyu Cheng, Chunzhao Liu. Enhanced biogas production from herbal-extraction process residues by microwave-assisted alkaline pretreatment. Journal of Chemical Technology & Biotechnology2010, 85(1): 127-131.
- Chunzhao Liu, Xiyu Cheng. Microwave-assisted acid pretreatment for enhancing biogas production from herbal-extraction process residue. Energy & Fuels, 2009, 23(12): 6152-6155.
- Chunzhao Liu, Xiyu Cheng. Enhancement of phenylethanoid glycosides biosynthesis in cell cultures of Cistanche deserticola by osmotic stress. Plant Cell Reports, 2008, 27(2): 357-362.
- Xiyu Cheng, Hua-Ying Zhou, Xin Cui, et al. Improvement of phenylethanoid glycosides biosynthesis in Cistanche deserticola cell suspension cultures by chitosan elicitor. Journal of Biotechnology, 2006, 121(2): 253-260.
- Xiyu Cheng, Bin Guo, Hua-Ying Zhou, et al. Repeated elicitation enhances phenylethanoid glycosides accumulation in cell suspension cultures of Cistanche deserticola. Biochemistry Engineering Journal, 2005, 24(3): 203-207.
- Xiyu Cheng, Tao Wei Tao, Bin Guo et al. Cistanche deserticola cell suspension cultures: phenylethanoid glycosides biosynthesis and antioxidant activity. Process Biochemistry, 2005, 40(9): 3119-3124.