Since 2003, I have been working in Beijing Jiaotong university as a full professor.
As a visiting scholar, I visited many universities in the global scale and made joint works with my collaborators in the Maryland University, the Johns Hopkins University, the Texas University at Arlington, the California University at Irvine, and the University of Tokyo and so on. I have published more than 50 papers in peer-reviewed international journals cooperated with my colleagues and my students. As a supervisor, more than 6 PhD students have been graduated from this university, and more than 20 graduate students got their Master degree.
In 2001 I got my PhD at the Institute of Mathematics of the Chinese Academy of Science. From 2005/12-2007/08, as a postdoc at Universidad de Rey Juan Carlos, Madrid,Spain.
My research interests focus on bifurcation and chaos of nonlinear dynamical system. Recent years, I focus on the research on the neuron, neuron network, some applications in neurological disease, and hunting motion of high speed vehicles.
As a principle investigator of two projects of National Natural Science Foundation and a project of Beijing Nature Science Foundation.
1. Penghei Ge, Hongjun Cao. Intermittent evolution routes to the periodic or the chaotic orbits in Rulkov map. Chaos, September, 2021.
2. Penghei Ge, Hongjun Cao. Chaos in the Rulkov neuron model based on Marotto's theorem. International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos. December, 2021.
3. Hongjun Cao, Yanguo Wu. Bursting types and stable domains of Rulkov neuron network with mean field coupling. International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos, Vol. 23, No. 12, 2013, 1330041-1330061.
4. Hongjun Cao and Borja Ibarz. Hybrid Discrete-Time Neural Networks. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A 368, 2010, 5071–5086.
5. Borja Ibarz, Hongjun Cao, and Miguel A. F. Sanjuán. Bursting regimes in map-based neuron models coupled through fast threshold modulation, Physical Review E. 2008, 77, 051918.
6. Hongjun Cao, Miguel A.F.Sanjuan.A mechanism for elliptic-like bursting and synchronization of bursts in a map-based neuron network. Cognitive Processing, 2009, 12, Vol.1（No. 10）.
7. Hongjun Cao, Jesus M. Seoane,Miguel A.F. Sanjuan.Symmetry-breaking analysis for the general Helmholtz-Duffing oscillator. Chaos, Solitons and Fractals, 2007, 12，34.
8. Hongjun Cao. Primary resonant optimal control for homoclinic bifurcations in singie-degree-of-freedom nonlinear oscillators. Chaos, Solitons and Fractals，2005, 12, 24.
9. Hongjun Cao, Guanrong Chen. Global and local contral of homoclinic and heteroclinic bifurcations. International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos，2005, 12, 15（8）.
10. Hongjun Cao, Zhengrong Liu, and Zhujun Jing, Bifurcations set and distribution of limit cycles for a class of cubic Hamiltonian system with higher-order perturbed terms, Chaos, Solitons and Fractals, Vol. 14, 2000, 2293-2304.